Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Visa Update

So I know I should be posting Visa Part 3 about the bribe but it was one of those kind of days. Actually the past two days have been this way.  Makes sense that since I'm dealing with my visa on these days that something in this process would also make you hit your head on the school bus ceiling because your bus driver went over the speed bump too fast.

When I dropped off my visa last week, they told me it should take one week.  I had heard the same thing from Kristie, the other EAB teacher moving to India.  As I say to my kids, "Easy, breezy, lemon squeezy."

I called the Embassy yesterday.  Guess who answered the phone?  Sassy!  She said the Embassy was busy with a cultural event, an inauguration of sorts (no idea what it is and why and yes, I tried googling and looking on their website and no luck so anybody with info, please share) and she could let me know later in the day if my visa was processed.   She also said she might not be there because of the event.  I asked if I calling back tomorrow would be better.  She appreciatively sighed, "Yes."

So, 10:15 this morning I called back.  Good ole Sassy answered the phone.  She answered in Portuguese and without hesitation I went right into English.  I told her that I was calling to check on the status of  my visa and gave her my name.  When I said it, she said, "Oh yeah.  You called yesterday."  Then she started flipping through her pile of visas and told me the bad news, "It's not here."

I told her I need my passport back by Friday.  I need it to get my Brazilian Social Security funds which is a pretty nice chunk of change.  We're going on Friday to collect them.

Sassy said she could check into it and especially since I was traveling on Friday, they would get back to me today.  I gave her Andrea's phone number because I lost my cell phone a few weeks ago and said I would really appreciate any help.  I didn't bother to correct her that I'm not traveling on Friday and instead want some money but I figure it's hopefully gonna help to expedite this entire thing.

Andrea just heard back from them with an update.  I guess India hasn't heard back from Washington.  What?  Why do they need to talk to Washington?  What did I do?  What are they checking?  I swear my record is clean.  Andrea asked four different times for them to explain it and she still didn't understand the reason.

The person Andrea spoke with told that I would for sure have it Friday.  Seriously?  Maybe it just means that I'm supposed to go to lunch with some friends and pick it up on the way.  Gotta be, right?  I mean I know there was a holiday in the U.S. and there's a cultural event but don't they still process visas in both countries?

Cross your fingers and wish upon a star for the visa gods to align again. Will update as the week goes on and also share Part 3 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment