Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Doing my Part to Support the Economy

Since being home I've definitely done my part to support the American economy.  It's funny how when you live overseas, returning home becomes a shopping craze. The time's limited.  The list is long.  Each expat has their own specific list.  My creature comforts include bedding, towels, clothes and an excessive amount of toiletries.

When you move to a new location though, this list expands and includes new things.  In Brazil there were lots of foods.  In India, that list isn't so large, just chocolate chips. 

I've learned that in India I'll be able to find many of the things I need but there's just something about opening a cabinet or washing your face in the morning with what you've used for years.

Today I went with my sister to Costco and picked up toiletries, lotions, medicines, tampons, Sharpies, pencils and a few other odds and ends.  Got some great deals.  Thank you Costco and Erin Looney.

The past few days I've also picked up some shirts, tops, dresses, jeans, kitchen gadgets and shoes.  Three pairs of sandals so far.  And no I'm not finished...quite.  Yesterday I also got new bedding and towels at Kohl's.  

Next week I'm shopping for an Ipad and a queen bed.  Yes, a bed.  In several different communications from school and from ASB staff, an American bed is a must.  Korean beds were awful - hard and like sleeping on the floor.  Brazilian beds were also hard.  Indian beds must be even worse if everyone's saying to bring one!

With all of these things I "need" I've decided to ship things to India.  Next Thursday I have two shipping companies arriving to give me quotes on shipping all of the goodies and bed.  We receive a shipping allowance from ASB which will  help pay for all of these great things. They will give me the quote using volume.  I used shippers in Korea and had an amazing experience on both ends of the trip.  Men coming to pack and unpack.  Items all arriving safely.  Peace of mind knowing that your things are on their way and I won't have to schlep them with me this time!  Well, not so many things.  I'm gonna try and pull a Sam Richards.  Only bring bags I can carry (aiming for 3 suitcases). 

I'll post photos soon but currently the mess is occupying three rooms.  Tomorrow I hope to have it down to one! 

So, even thought I may live far away, I am doing my part.  No one can accuse me otherwise. 

3 comments:

  1. Are you done with Brasilia for good, now? We leave in 20 days. I can't believe it!
    I wish we could take our mattress with us, but we've decided not to buy a container; we don't want to take that much with us at this time.
    But I did buy a lot of the items you've listed above. Amazing how much money you can spend before leaving.
    How is shopping for shirts/dresses in Brasilia?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meredith! I am all done in Brasilia. Hard to believe. It wasn't an easy goodbye. Good luck with your move! I know you'll enjoy the city. And good to know I'm not the only one stocking up! Shirts and dresses for small sizes are easy to find at the weekend feiras and markets. Prices are expensive but I've heard you can get good deals outside the city. Good luck with your move and getting settled in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete